Superintendent Job Posting
To be posted on online job search platforms like Indeed, Ziprecruiter, etc.
We are currently seeking a Building Superintendent who will be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of five, three storey buildings (and grounds) with a total of 49 units.
The Superintendent will be accountable to the Board of Directors and General Membership. They must at all times ensure that all safety and security standards are maintained. The Superintendent will report to the Office Manager and the Chairperson of the Maintenance Committee any major problems and/or outstanding maintenance issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Overall, the Superintendent, in cooperation with the Office Manager and Maintenance Committee will:
● Conduct daily inspections of all buildings and the grounds, including all indoor and outdoor common areas.
● Check all doors and windows in common areas and ensure all are in good working condition and secure.
● Secure all keys to general building areas and inspect all locks on a regular basis.
● Check all common area lighting (indoor and outdoor) and ensure that all are in good repair and working order.
● Act as liaison, when required, with suppliers and service companies.
● Check work orders on a daily basis and advise the Office Manager of work needs.
● Undertake minor repairs and maintenance to heating, plumbing and electrical systems wherever possible, and minor repairs throughout the units, when such repairs are not the Member’s responsibility.
● Undertake responsibility for the Maintenance Petty Cash Fund (disbursements, receipts and reimbursement).
● Remove garbage daily from all garbage areas in buildings and make sure indoor and outdoor garbage areas are clean and maintained; remove garbage from ground (papers, etc.)
● Clean and maintain common building areas (lobbies, hallways, stairwells, carpets, glass doors and windows, laundry rooms).
● Clean and maintain garage and Co-op storage areas.
● Check and maintain the boiler room.
● Bleed all radiators in the Fall to improve heating circulation to all buildings and units and check circulating pumps.
● Undertake care of lawns (cut, rake, rake leaves, water), driveways, walkways and in cooperation with the Garden Committee, prune shrubs and attend flowerbeds.
● In exceptional weather, and outside of the snow blowing contract, clear snow and ice (sidewalks, outdoor stairwell, driveways, parking areas) to ensure safety of all Members, visitors and those having business with the Co-op, and to provide ready access to and from the buildings for vehicular traffic.
● Supervise use of indoor and outdoor parking spaces.
● Compile and maintain up-to-date Inventory of Co-op equipment, tools and supplies, and report any need for repair or replacement.
● Coordinate move in/move out and annual unit inspections with the Office Manager and Maintenance Committee, and ensure that all necessary upgrades, as approved, are completed.
● Change unit locks for move-ins or internal transfers.
● In cooperation with Office Manager, arrange for replacement Superintendent when unable to perform duties (illness, vacation, etc.), subject to approval of the Board of Directors.
● Attend meetings of the Board of Directors, when and as needed.
● Attend meetings of the Maintenance Committee and General Membership as needed.
From time to time, the Board of Directors may call upon the Superintendent to perform other duties.
In performance of all duties, the Superintendent will use appropriate interpersonal communication when liaising with Members and/or staff.
● High school education at minimum. Additional educational or trades courses an asset,
● Minimum 2 years building maintenance experience,
● Demonstrated basic carpentry, electrical, and plumbing skills,
● Knowledge and expertise with hand and power tools,
● Ability to work outdoors, lift up to 25 kilos, and work at heights on ladders,
● Maintain confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy as well as positive attitude and effective interpersonal skills,
● Ability to work independently and as a member of a team,
● Have reliable access to transportation
Nice to Have
● Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel)
● Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
● Experience with old buildings
This is a part-time, permanent position with a salary based on experience and qualifications.
Thank you in advance for your interest. We regret that we can only respond to candidates chosen for an interview. Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Application deadline: 2021-07-23
Send Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: $18.00-21.00 /hour
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
● Free on-site parking Schedule:
● 5 hour shift (Time frame TBD)