New Commons Development
Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to develop affordable housing in communities across Canada? Are you proactive and diligent with experience managing multiple projects that are at various stages of development? Are you excited about the possibility of using your construction and development skills to drive positive social change? If so, keep reading. We’re looking for someone like you.
New Commons is part of the growing non-profit real estate development sector in Canada and you will be a part of our small and dynamic team with offices in Ontario and British Columbia. You will be responsible for managing several affordable multi-residential housing projects from conception through completion and will report to the Director.
We’re looking for someone with the ability to work closely with community groups to support the realization of their development vision. You are not afraid of juggling multiple projects, staying organized and making sound decisions. You have experience managing consultant teams and driving schedules. And you know what is required to manage a live construction project with on-site challenges and a variety of responsibilities – financial draws, consultant coordination, safety.
New Commons Development is a non-profit real estate development company that works to create affordable housing and other real estate assets in partnership with the local community. New Commons is part of New Market Funds, a social impact intermediary that is B Corp certified, charity- and employee-owned and provides charities, non‐profits, and co‐ops with alternative capital to catalyze community‐based projects across Canada.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
New Commons Development is seeking an experienced Development Manager to add to its development team in Toronto. This role will report to the local Director. The Development Manager can expect to lead the management and execution of multiple affordable rental housing development projects through planning, design and engineering, construction to project completion.
• Establish roles and responsibilities and provide excellent communication with all project partners.
• Manage non-profit project partner relationships and other stakeholder engagement.
• Work with consultant team to develop scope of work. Manage consultant teams through the entire design and municipal process.
• Establish and manage development schedule.
• Manage and update project cash flows and budgets.
• Administer the construction process, including: architect and contractors selection, contract execution, inspection of work in progress, monitoring of project budget, review and approval of change orders and requisitions, supervises clerk of the works and coordinates with other contractors and professional consultants.
• Help manage overall progress of projects on Legal, Financial, Construction and Marketing/Management tracks.
• Champion the project vision in driving overall value and ensuring projects are delivered on time and on budget.
• As needed, prepares and submits municipal applications.
• Ensure compliance with requirements of project loans and grants, equity, and all required
• Coordinate selection of, and supervise the work of, the General Contractor and other contractors and consultants during construction.
• Coordinate with appropriate New Commons staff regarding project progress, ensuring that co-workers have adequate notice in order to meet their respective responsibilities related to the project.
• Concurrently manage 3 – 5 projects in pre-development, development and construction at any given time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE:
• Minimum of 4 – 6 years of relevant experience, including multi-family residential and commercial projects ideally with exposure to construction completion and delivery (prior experience in development or construction project management preferred).
• Education and background in Real Estate, Commerce, Urban Land Economics, Architecture, Planning, Legal or Engineering or related field.
• Experience with non-profit affordable rental housing developments is an asset.
• Experience with project management tools, methodologies and approaches.
• Familiarity with applicable housing programs and regulations including federal, provincial and local funding sources.
• Familiarity with contracts and consultant agreements.
• Thorough working knowledge of development cash flows and accounting.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills (both written and verbal) are required, along with demonstrable success in leading project teams to a common goal.
• Excellent organizational, time management and prioritization skills including the ability to multitask with competing priorities.
• Strong negotiating and decision-making skills focused on results with an ability to balance multiple perspectives and an inclination to challenge assumptions.
• Goal oriented self-starter who uses time efficiently.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people in a wide variety of positions.
• Well organized and flexible.
• Ability to articulate problems and concerns as well as identify potential solutions.
• Work well independently and as part of a team.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
New Commons Development will provide a professional and rewarding working environment with the opportunity for career growth and expects the salary to range between $75,000 – $95,000 for the right candidate but is commensurate with experience. Other benefits include extended health and dental benefits plan, phone allowance, wellness allowance, professional development allowance and eligibility to join the New Market Funds Team Ownership Plan. If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please email your resume to email@example.com with ‘Development Manager’ in the Subject Line, no later than January 22, 2021.
New Commons Development is committed to equity in employment and diversity in our team, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you are an applicant with a disability and require accommodation during the hiring process please contact us. All qualified applicants are invited to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for follow-up will be contacted.