Maintenance Worker/Caretaker – Riverdale Co-op – Deadline Nov 20th
Riverdale Co-operative Houses is looking to hire a Maintenance Worker/Caretaker. Resumes with cover letters are due by Monday November 20, 2017 and must be sent by email to email@example.com.
Position Title: Maintenance Worker/Caretaker
Position Type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Must have a car, valid driver’s licence and clean drivers abstract.
Must have clean criminal reference check.
About Riverdale Co-operative Houses:
Riverdale Co-operative Houses is a non-profit corporation made up of houses, townhouses, and walk-up apartments in the Riverdale/Leslieville area of Toronto’s east end. The co-op has 28 properties with a total of 124 units, located between Eastern Avenue to the south, Danforth Ave. in the north, Coxwell Avenue in the east and the Don River to the west.
It is a non-profit housing co-operative, whose mandate is to provide safe affordable, well maintained housing for the members of this community.
The Maintenance Worker/Caretaker reports to the Senior Maintenance Worker/Manager and is responsible for the following:
1. Receive daily work orders/work schedule from the Senior Maintenance Worker.
2. Perform minor repairs, including locks and passage sets, equipment, doors and closures, taps, toilets, sinks, and hardware, walls, windows and screens.
3. Perform minor repairs in units at the time of turnover, including caulking, wall and ceiling repairs, painting, etc.
4. Maintain cleaning and other equipment in good working order, and report other repairs as may be required by a Contractor.
5. Perform painting of units and common areas as required.
6. Check mechanical rooms daily for equipment failure, and assist in ensuring that contractors maintain required logs. Report mechanical failures to the Senior Maintenance Worker/Manager. Maintain appropriate logs required by the co-op.
7. Check fire monitoring panels and perform monthly fire tests of equipment as required. Ensure accurate and current entries in fire logs. Participate in all emergency procedures and drills.
8. Deal with and report to the Senior Maintenance Worker/Manager, any vandalism, disturbances and/or emergencies as soon as they occur/are discovered.
9. Provide access for appropriate tradespeople, government inspectors and representatives, to common areas and/or units, in accordance with Co-op policy.
1. Clean lobbies, corridors, stairwells, laundry rooms, meeting and common rooms, mechanical and storage rooms, and caretaker closest, as required, including the following tasks:
a. Wash walls, doors, door frames, glass and partitions, windows, laundry appliances, fridges and stoves
b. Maintain floor surfaces by sweeping and damp mopping, vacuuming carpets, steam cleaning carpets as required, stripping and polishing floors as required
c. Spot-clean all surfaces due to spills, finger marks, vandalism etc.
d. Clean lint traps and exhaust fans in laundry rooms
e. Sweep cement floors in stairwells, mechanical rooms and storage areas as applicable
f. Clean sinks and toilets in public washrooms
g. Clean fresh air vents and fire house cabinets
h. Visually inspect all common areas (grounds and buildings) as applicable, on a daily/weekly basis, to ensure that these areas are tidy and free of debris and vandalism
2. Maintain an inventory of cleaning supplies and inform the Senior Maintenance Worker/Manager when stock needs re-ordering.
3. Ensure that appropriate safety supplies, equipment and materials are on site and that all tasks are performed within WHMIS, WSIB, OHSA, insurance requirements and the Co-op’s Health & Safety Policy, including the wearing of appropriate protective clothing.
4. Monitor all parking areas and roadways to ensure fire and travel routes are kept clear.
5. Clear snow and ice from designated areas, as requested by the Senior Maintenance Worker/Manager: parking areas, roadways, walkways, stairwells and entryways. Sand/salt these areas as required. Record activities in snow/deicing log after each activity.
6. Collect and dispose of refuse, litter, recycling, abandoned furniture and garbage as required.
7. Maintain an inventory of lighting stock, and replace burnt-out lights as required.
8. Clean vacated units at point of turnover as requested by the Senior Maintenance Worker/Manager, including: removal of litter/garbage, vacuuming, washing kitchen and bathroom floors, strip/wax floors, clean windows and window coverings, clean appliances and fixtures, clean interior and exterior of cupboards, clean and caulk bathtubs and sinks, spot clean or steam clean carpets where applicable, replace burnt-out light bulbs, clean all vents.
9. Attend Staff meetings as requested.
Experience and Skills:
We’re seeking a self-motivated individual who demonstrates initiative, can work independently with minimal supervision to prioritize duties, and uses good judgement to make appropriate decisions. You are organized, able to receive, understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
You have the ability to inspect, assess and determine repair requirements; perform minor repairs with skills in plumbing and electrical systems. You have a good knowledge of painting, dry-wall repair and the basics of carpentry.
You have experience in cleaning residential buildings and with basic landscaping tasks.
You have knowledge of relevant WCB regulations and are familiar with building fire and safety regulations and procedures. You have some familiarity of building code requirements for repairs. Knowledge of key access systems and security is an asset. Some administrative knowledge is required.
You must speak, read and write English and be able to communicate in a professional personable manner with fellow employees, members and residents of diverse backgrounds and abilities, and outside contractors.
Our ideal candidate will have a high school diploma or equivalent and have a minimum of 2 years related experience. You have a valid class G driver’s license and clean drivers abstract. A clean criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector search is also required.
How to Apply:
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is Monday November 20, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Please note that only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.