Maintenance Worker – Oak Street Co-op
Are you an experienced maintenance worker with a passion for community building and a willingness to take on more supervisory responsibilities? Then consider being a part of a maintenance team in working the grounds and buildings of a housing co-operative!
Oak Street Housing Co-op, located in downtown Toronto, has provided quality, secure and affordable housing since 1985. The people who live here, or “members”, run the co-op. The co-op has 149 units located in a nine-storey apartment building and three rows of townhouses. A number of the apartments are wheelchair accessible. In addition, the co-op has a retail rental property located on the grounds.
Oak Street Housing Co-op is seeking an experienced and community oriented person who can perform small and large preventative and routine maintenance tasks. The position can grow to include more supervisory responsibilities. Reporting to the Manager, this full-time opportunity is ideal for an energetic, community oriented person who has previous practical maintenance experience and a genuine passion for providing, safe, accessible and affordable housing to community members.
In this role, you will:
1. Perform Preventive and Routine Maintenance
– Carry out preventive and other routine maintenance tasks according to schedules and work orders on the following:
• fire alarm system
• electrical system
• mechanical systems
• garbage compactor
• sump pumps
• walls and windows
• door and locks
– Maintain co-op tools and equipment
2. Maintain and Organize Inventory
– Purchase materials as directed by supervisor
– Pick up materials from suppliers
– Receive and check shipments, check packing slips, and restock inventory
– Assist in checking and maintaining inventory records as required
3. Additional Duties
– Respond to calls in case of major emergency
– Move appliances and other equipment
– Accompany meter readers
– Enter units for inspections
– Training of on-call volunteers and new maintenance staff
– Other duties as directed by supervisor
This position has potential to grow to include more supervisory responsibilities. Experience with any of the items below is an asset:
– Supervising maintenance staff and overseeing contractors
– Working with large capital repair projects
– Maintaining an inventory system and overseeing purchasing
– Maintaining an electronic work order system
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit your resume and covering letter to: email@example.com
Deadline: Until successful candidate is found.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Start Date: To be negotiated with successful applicant.
We thank all applicants. However, only applicants selected to continue in the application process will be contacted.