Administrative Assistant – Windermere United Church – Deadline May 27th
2019 Paid Summer Internship
Windermere United Church is actively seeking applications for our Paid Summer Internship position of Administrative Assistant.
Windermere United Church is an inclusive and welcoming community, seeking to follow Christ by building relationships with all people, helping our local & global communities, caring for the environment, and supporting one another. We actively support inter-faith work, are supportive allies of the LGBTQ2S community, and seek reconciliation and justice for our Indigenous friends and family.
About the position:
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for effectively and efficiently assisting the Minister, council, and other volunteer leaders in carrying out their ministries; responsible for communicating with and providing support to the church ministries and programs; responsible for assisting with financial accountability; responsible for providing supplies for most church programs.
Directly to the Church & Property Administrator, indirectly to the Church Minister.
The candidate for this position must be comfortable working within a Church community with Christian values that is inclusive and welcoming.
The candidate must also have the following qualifications:
- Computer proficient with high knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs.
- Must possess strong organization skills to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills that demonstrate an ability to work with others.
- Able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills – grammar, spelling and clarity of presentation.
- Familiarity with using and uploading content to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc)
- A self-starter with an ability to work independently and who learns quickly.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 20lbs (ex: boxes of files to be moved from office and stored in separate area)
- Previous work experience in an office environment preferred but not necessary.
- Minimum 2 years of post-secondary education preferred but not required.
- Assist with checking and answering emails and phone calls to the office, as well as greeting all incoming visitors.
- Assist in taking in and processing all incoming mail, as well as sending out mail.
- Assist in communicating with and providing support to the church ministries and programs.
- Assist in efforts to increase rental potential, promoting our rent-able space as multi-cultural, inclusive, and interfaith.
- Assist in maintaining and updating our social media pages and website.
- Assist in producing the weekly bulletin (program for the Sunday worship), as well as proofreading and collating when complete.
- Assist in ensuring the church volunteers have what they need for Sunday service.
- Regularly review bulletin boards and update as needed.
- Assist in updating/maintaining the filing system where appropriate, and shredding or moving outdated files to storage.
- Assist in data entry (membership info, financials, etc) into our computer software database program (PowerChurch).
- Change outdoor sign message weekly.
- Other duties as assigned.
Because this position is part of the Government of Canada Summer Jobs Program, candidates must be:
a) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
b) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been
conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the
c) have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work
in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
- The projected start date for this position is June 17th, with an estimated end date of September 6th, for a total of 12 weeks. (There is some flexibility with the start and end dates
- The hours are 30 hours per week, scheduling of which is flexible.
- The compensation is $15/hour.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resumé to the address below, no later than May 27th 2019:
Attn: Michelle Maldonado
356 Windermere Ave.